Toronto, Sept. 15, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Habitat for Humanity GTA (Habitat GTA) is proud to announce that The Daniels Corporation (Daniels) has won its first-ever Developer for Humanity Lifetime Achievement Award. Habitat GTA representatives presented Daniels with the award last night at the 2022 Building Industry and Land Development Association President’s Dinner.
The Developer for Humanity Award was created to recognize developers who go above and beyond by partnering with Habitat GTA to provide affordable homeownership opportunities, while demonstrating parallel commitments to economic well-being. and social of the communities in which they build. The Developer for Humanity Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes Daniels for his outstanding track record in both fields.
Since 1996, Daniels has set an example at the forefront of the industry as to how builders can partner with Habitat GTA, supporting its mission to help local families build strength, stability and their independence through affordable home ownership. Daniels has shown extraordinary generosity and goodwill by donating land and completed homes with a combined value of over $6 million, resulting in Habitat homes for over 90 families in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Pickering and Aurora, including:
- Donation of land in south Etobicoke for the construction of 10 Habitat homes – the largest land donation from a private company in the history of Habitat GTA.
- Leading the development of a 54-unit affordable homeownership community on former denominational land in Scarborough, including the full construction of 38 of these homes and the support of Habitat volunteers for the construction of 16 of these houses.
- Provide Habitat GTA with many completed townhouses and condominium units at well below market prices, which in turn become Habitat homes.
Beyond the direct provision of land and housing units, Daniels has been invaluable in supporting Habitat GTA’s expansion from a local charity building a handful of homes a year to a housing developer. Sophisticated affordables building multiple stacked townhouse developments and trading an ever-increasing number of units. partnerships with local governments and for-profit developers. Over the years, members of the Daniels team have regularly shared advice and guidance with Habitat GTA on all aspects of their work, from long-term strategy to land purchase due diligence, by reviewing project plans and advising on construction site safety programs. Along the way, Daniels has tapped into his own network, calling to action for other developers, builders, and vendors to follow their lead and support Habitat GTA.
Although Habitat GTA has been a leading partner, Daniels has provided support to many other organizations creating inclusive housing opportunities, such as:
- A signatory with the BlackNorth Initiative and a 5-home commitment to BlackNorth’s Homeownership Transition Program, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity GTA;
- Friends of Ruby Home, the first residence in Canada providing transitional housing and on-site counseling to homeless LGBTQI2S youth in Toronto;
- Covenant House Toronto, the largest agency for homeless youth in Canada. Daniels provided heavily subsidized rental apartments for an integrated transitional housing program in a Daniels condominium building;
- Daniels and Sun Life created a public-private partnership with WoodGreen Community Services and the City of Toronto to integrate long-term, affordable rental housing for single mothers at Evolv Rental Residences in Regent Park
- Daniels has partnered with L’Arche Toronto to custom build an eight-bedroom condominium in the Artworks Tower in Regent’s Park. Designed to meet the assisted living needs of L’Arche clients, this new home will provide a fully accessible, barrier-free and inclusive environment for people with developmental disabilities;
- The Region of Peel has partnered with Daniels and the governments of Ontario and Canada to deliver 174 units in a mixed rental building of affordable, fair market value apartments in downtown Mississauga;
- Daniels Accessibility Designed Program (ADP) – a barrier breaking initiative dedicated to providing a higher level of accessibility, far exceeding the requirements of the Ontario Building Code. ADP homes are now integrated into all Daniels vertical communities.
“What really speaks to the amazingness of The Daniels Corporation is the simple fact that they supported Habitat for Humanity GTA to help empower dozens of local families – not because they had to, but because they chose to do so. Daniels is a pioneer in the development industry. Their mantra, love where you live, is not just a slogan, it is a way of being. They take a systems approach to every construction project, constantly looking for ways to not only contribute to the community, but also create inclusive communities where everyone can thrive. Their partnership with Habitat for Humanity GTA can be seen through the lives of several generations of families who have been given the opportunity to perform at their best and are now living a better quality of life. They are a shining example of the powerful role the development community can play in solving the affordable housing crisis while creating vibrant sustainable communities for the benefit of all. – Ene Underwood, CEO of Habitat for Humanity GTA.
“The commitment to affordable homeownership has been at the heart of our work for almost 40 years. For more than two decades, our partnership with Habitat for Humanity has demonstrated the power of collaboration. By partnering with Habitat, every developer can truly change lives, building inclusive communities. We are deeply humbled by this recognition and look forward to continuing our collaboration with Habitat for Humanity in the decades to come. – Mitchell Cohen, President and CEO of The Daniels Corporation.
“Our lives have improved so much now that our family has a place of our own. Children have more space to run and play. We can wake up to see a sunrise and see and hear the birds outside our window. Owning a home means it’s ours, and we’re invested in a life-changing decision for the better. We are grateful to Team Daniels for partnering with Habitat for Humanity GTA to build our home so we could feel safe and comfortable. – Vidia Mohammed, owner of Habitat for Humanity GTA.
About Habitat for Humanity GTA
Habitat for Humanity GTA is a local organization with a global vision of a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. We mobilize communities to help working families build strength, stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors and community partners, we are providing a solid foundation for a better and healthier life for families in the GTA. Since 1988, Habitat GTA has built 23 new communities, helping hundreds of families so that parents and children can have a safe, decent and affordable place to call home. To learn more, visit habitatgta.ca.
About Daniels Company
The Daniels Corporation (www.danielshomes.ca) is one of Canada’s preeminent builders/developers, building over 35,000 new homes in the Greater Toronto Area for over 38 years. Daniels is the developer of TIFF Bell Lightbox and the City of the Arts community on Toronto’s east waterfront. Among his many initiatives, Daniels was chosen to partner with Toronto Community Housing to revitalize 53 of Toronto’s 69 acres of Regent Park. Today, Regent Park is the global hub for the Urban Sustainable Development Goals and home to the Regent Park Global Urban Pavilion – Powered by Daniels, a collaborative initiative between the Urban Economy Forum, UN-Habitat and supported by CMHC and Daniels. Understanding that quality of life is created by more than physical buildings, Daniels goes beyond to integrate excellence in construction with opportunities for social, cultural and economic well-being. As part of this effort, Daniels is committed to integrating affordable housing into its GTA communities through innovative programs and partnerships with nonprofit organizations to help address significant homeownership needs. to affordable ownership and rental in today’s market.